|Prerequisites and co-requisites|
- Theoretical approaches to brand/brand management
- Elements of successful brand management
- Strategic foundations of brand management (concepts, design, application):
- Brand identity and brand positioning
- Brand architecture
- Contact points as a link to operational brand management
- Theoretical foundations of communication
- Planning elements in the context of corporate communication policy
- Formulation of objectives for the planning of communication activities of brands
- Instruments and measures for the development of brand communication
- Forms of communication and their application for brand communication
- Integration of brand communication activities (visual, content and time integration)
- Analytical methods for the evaluation of brands
Students know current brand theories and their essential components as well as consequences for companies.
Students know major decision areas in strategic brand management (brand identity, brand architecture).
Students know success factors in strategic and operational brand management.
Students know the relationship between brand management and corporate communication .
Students can name various forms and elements of corporate communication and list their pros and cons.
Students know basic methods to measure the effectiveness and efficiency of communication tools/activities.
Students understand the fundamental importance of brand management for the economic success of companies.
Students are able to explain relevant connections between strategic alignment of a brand (brand identity and positioning) and communication policies.
Students are able to derive appropriate objectives for corporate communication in a given business situation and select appropriate tools of communication.
Students are aware of the importance of an integrated communication approach and are able to develop appropriate communication concepts.
Students are able to use tools of marketing communication to achieve sales policy objectives.
Students are able to apply methods for the development of the strategic basis of a brand (brand identity, positioning).
Students can develop appropriate communication measures or guidelines for communication activities based on strategic foundations of a brand (brand identity).
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
Interactive course with case studies and homework
|Assessment methods and criteria|
75 % Final written exam
25 % Active participation in discussions/group work excercises
|Recommended or required reading|
Bruhn, Manfred (2014): Integrierte Unternehmens- und Markenkommunikation: Strategische Planung und operative Umsetzung. Auflage: 6., überarbeitete Auflage. Stuttgart: Schäffer-Poeschel.
Mast, Claudia (2012): Unternehmenskommunikation: Ein Leitfaden. Auflage: 5., überarb. Aufl. Konstanz: UTB GmbH.
Esch, Franz Rudolf: Strategie und Technik der Markenführung, Verlag Vahlen, 2012 (7. Auflage)
David Aaker: Building Strong Brands, Simon & Schuster, 2010
Kevin Lane Keller: Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring and Managing Brand Equity (Global Edition), Pearson, 2013 (4th Edition)
|Mode of delivery (face-to-face, distance learning)|
Face-to-face course with mandatory attendance