|Prerequisites and co-requisites|
- Definition of culture and cultural identity
- Values, norms and codes of conduct in different cultures
- Intercultural dilemmas in the workplace
- Cultural intelligence
- Cultural comparisons, stereotypes and prejudices
- Interview techniques and negotiation skills
- Students know the importance of cultural differences and their impact on human behaviour and cognitive processes such as perception and evaluation.
- They know the importance of different cultural origins in terms of understanding and communication.
- They know cultural stereotypes and prejudices and are able to transfer them to different cultures.
- Students understand the cultural influence on perception and interaction processes and can deal with a change of perspective and empathise with other cultures without falling into stereotypes.
- They understand the importance of cultural values and norms and their effects.
- In the context of interaction and communication situations, students apply cultural knowledge and are able to cooperate across cultural borders in a reflective way.
- They apply discussion rules to ensure mutual understanding.
- Students are able to analyse cultural problems situations and work out causes of misunderstandings, conflicts and losses of friction.
- Students have the appropriate attitude and tools to start an intercultural dialogue.
- They are considerate while interacting with people from different cultural backgrounds and are able to communicate and work with their team members in a respectful way.
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
Lectures, discussions and educational talks, group and individual work with case studies, business games and role playing to promote experiential learning.
|Assessment methods and criteria|
Paper, written individually: 50 % of the grade
Reflection report on ones own experience in an intercultural context, 50 % of the grade
|Recommended or required reading|
- Utley, Derek (2004): Cross-Cultural Resource Pack Intercultural communication resources for language: Intermediate to advanced. Stuttgart: Klett Verlag.
- Matsumoto, David (Hrsg) (2011): Culture and Psychology. 5th International edition. Endover: Cengage Learning Emea.
- Kumbruck, Christel; Derboven, Wibke (2009): Interkulturelles Training. Heidelberg: Springer.
|Mode of delivery (face-to-face, distance learning)|
Face-to-face instruction with mandatory attendance